If you have been charged with a DUI or DWI, it's extremely important to be represented by an experienced lawyer who will fight to defend your rights. At the law office of Charles H. Williams, Attorney and Counselor at Law, P.S., we provide legal defense to clients living in and around Seattle, Tacoma, Bellevue, Everett and Olympia, Washington.
Challenging Police Stops
There are many arguments that can be used to challenge a traffic stop. Police officers sometimes stop people for reasons that are patently invalid. Proving that the officer did not have reasonable suspicion to contact you is one way to reduce or eliminate charges. Certain driving behaviors that may not provide a basis for a police officer to pull you over include:
- Weaving in lane
- Touching or crossing a fogline or centerline
- Speeding determined by a visual estimate or by speed measuring device alone
- Squealing tires
- Impeding traffic
- Prematurely activating high beams
- Playing music loudly
- Briefly failing to display headlights at night
- Stopping past a stop line but short of the intersection
- Delay in proceeding after a stop sign or red light
- Failing to signal movement from the curb
- Failing to signal a turn from a private driveway onto the roadway
- Temporarily stopping in a no-parking zone to switch seats
- Reacting startled, braking or looking away when seeing the police
Questionable equipment violations are also used to stop vehicles --.e.g., cracked windshield that doesn't obstruct vision, license plate obscured by towing ball, lack of or non-conforming "mudflaps," dim license plate lamp, etc. Not only may the officer be mistaken about the law but he or she may also be engaged in unconstitutional action such as maintaining an improper roadblock, relying on uncorroborated tips from unreliable informants, or using the stop as a pretext to conduct other investigations.
Charles H. Williams — An Attorney With More Than 30 Years of Experience
If you were charged with a DUI, it might well be the case that the police officer did not have reasonable suspicion to pull you over in the first place. Attorney Charles H. Williams has more than 30 years of experience providing effective defense for clients charged with DWI/DUI, physical control, hit and run, driving on a suspended or revoked license, reckless driving and vehicular assault.
As we guide you through the legal process we will answer your questions, address your concerns and provide all the information necessary for you to decide how to proceed. We focus on delivering personalized service at an affordable rate.
To speak with a Seattle illegal traffic stop attorney contact our firm online or by calling 206-707-8524 or 800-854-3458.